Sunday, October 30, 2011

IST195 Blog Summary

Summary:

After all this weeks of blogging and being inspired from lectures, the entrepreneurial idea has still remained pretty consistent - which a traveling system used to improve planning and the traveling experience.

As we went through the importance of social media and security, I have learnt the importance of promotion of brand as well as how to do so effectively using social media. I have also learnt how vital security is to the business and what needs to be done to ensure that the reputation of the business will not be harmed.

Then as we went on to hardware components, storage, input and output as well as operating systems, this made me think more about the hardware side of the business. As we talked about servers and mainframes in the first week, I knew that my entrepreneurial idea would require heavy usage of computers. I knew the business would require a number of servers and mainframes. But most importantly, I was inspired by the usage of RFID. When I first came out with this idea, I was thinking about using either infrared or the internet to transmit the necessary data to customers. But with the rise of RFID and QR codes, I believe the business would greatly benefit from such a technology. I also learnt about the importance of operating systems. I found out how operating systems play a crucial role in the monitoring of the operation, but it also allowed me to think whether the system can be supported by the various operating systems out there. After all, the mobile devices and computers accessing data will most definitely run on different operating systems.

After learning about networks and databases, I learnt how networks work and how an efficient database comes into play in the business. As I was inspired by RFID and QR code technology, the chapter on networking made me think how RFID can be incorporated into networking. After all, the information from the business needs to be transmitted worldwide. The idea itself is possible but such an operation would require a large amount of investment. Moreover, it is important to have an efficient database as well as people to monitor the operation of this database. A lot of things can be digitalized, but I still believe it is important to have people to monitor it as well as tools to monitor the operation.

Most importantly, I have taken comments from my peers into consideration. Being that my business is a globally divorced system, it is important that the application be available to many languages and cultures. This will broaden the market of the product. Also, I have taken into consideration of a help function. I have thought about using a "self-help" function and a dial in function.

Now that the project is coming into an end, I feel that this entrepreneurial idea is feasible. Yet the only limitation is that the business would require a lot of funding and investment to run such a big international business. Moreover, the technology is out there but it is just that there is room for improvement in the technology in order to make the most out of it. I have most definitely learnt a lot out of this project though.

Comments on Peers:
Gaeun Oh
Ellen Spath
Christopher Nemetz

No comments:

Post a Comment